Private Sales - Old Masters
GIROLAMO MARCHESI DA COTIGNOLA and workshop
(Cotignola, 1471 circa – Rome, 1540 circa)
Holy Virgin with Jesus and saints
oil on canvas, cm 198x145
Barone G. Franchetti Collection, Jesi;
Private Collection, Jesi
The painting is a second autograph version of the altarpiece painted by Girolamo da Cotignola for the Orsi Chapel in the S. Mercuriale church in Forlì, datable at the beginning of the third decade of the 16th century and conserved in the Pinacoteca Civica of the city from 1893.
Our version is reproduced in the Federico Zeri Foundation photo library (file n. 31166), where it is attributed to a 16th century anonymous painter from Parma.
The choice of the canvas instead of the poplar board is not unusual for a second version, considering the higher affordability, handling and conservative capacity in comparison to the linen support.
The painting has a certain importance also in reference to the prototype in Forlì, which today is in a bad state of conservation, attesting the aspect before the conservative operation in 1972 by Ottorino Nonfarmale, who returned it back to the public fruition in a lacunous appearance.
Our canvas is, on the other hand, in a quite good state of conservation.